They Made Me Do It......I didn't want to Do it ......

Close In On The Cure

Close In On The Cure
fountain at Love Park, Philadelphia, PA turned pink in October for breast cancer awareness

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Benjamin Franklin ~ Famous Quotes ~ What do you think?

Recently I had an opportunity to visit Philadelphia's Franklin Institute. Inspired as always to snap some photos, I was amazed to see a huge statue of Franklin himself sitting in the entry way of the building. I was not amazed it was Franklin who sits at the entrance, because after all it is a building dedicated to the memory of Benjamin Franklin, but amazed at the sheer size and elegance of the statue.

After snapping my photos and doing a little digital shuffling, I realized my memory of American history was not all that it should be, and did a little research on one of our founding fathers.

It is probably a bit disrespectful to wrap up 84 years of a brilliant man's life in a nutshell, but the purpose of this post is dedicated to what I believe to be four of Franklin's greatest quotes, not a biography of the man's life; I believe the historians have already done an excellent job of writing their history on that subject.

So one of so many things American history can boast of, was a man who lived from 1706-1790; he invented the lightning rod, bifocals, and I'm sure there are many of you out there cursing him for that invention; the Franklin stove and odometers. He formed the first public lending library and fire department in Pennsylvania. He is noted for many other scientific and historical contributions, but as I mentioned earlier this is the encapsulated version of a great man's life.

The following is a list of my favorite quotes of Benjamin Franklin ~ what do you think?

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest".

"Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight".

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at a tempting moment".

and my very favorite:

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing".

Benjamin Franklin, sir ~ thank you and anyone for kite flying? :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment